PR Card Renewal

Permanent Resident Card renewal

Permanent residents must have a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada by plane, train, bus, or boat. Without one, you may not be able to board.

Your PR card needs to be valid when you show it. If your card expires, you will have to apply for a new one. You are still a permanent resident if your card expires.

You must meet certain residency obligations to maintain your status as a permanent resident.

To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

immigration consultants

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period. However, if you have been a permanent resident for less than 5 years and decide to leave the country for an extended period, it is up to you to prove to IRCC that you will be able to meet your residency requirements.

If you are outside Canada for extended periods, you may lose your permanent resident status until definite action is taken to ward off such a situation. Even if you are in Canada, an immigration officer can determine that you have not complied with your residency obligations which may lead to issuing of a departure order that requires you to leave Canada.

If you lose your permanent resident status, we can file an appeal on your behalf within 60 days of receiving the decision. If an appeal is made, the officer may consider humanitarian and compassionate reasons before making a final decision about your permanent resident status.

Contact OMRAM Immigration to know more about your options to renew permanent resident care and to understand what can help you in relation to your PR status.